To avoid frozen pipes and frozen water meters during this extreme cold:
- Keep thermostats set at 55 degrees or higher;
- Open an inside faucet and allow a thin stream of water to run to prevent freezing of water in pipes;
- Check your water meter and water pipes that may be in areas exposed to drafts or cold and make sure they are properly insulated;
- Open cabinets doors to allow heat into areas where piping may be on an exterior wall;
- Heat tape or heat cables can be wrapped around plumbing in unheated areas to help prevent freezing;
If a water meter or pipe does freeze, to thaw it, try running warm air from a hair dryer over it or try wrapping rags and pouring hot water over it. If a leak develops, turn off the water valve before the water meter and call a licensed plumber to make a repair.